Organization: Campbell County Conservation District
The Campbell County Conservation District has one temporary position available. This position is for 15- 20 hrs/week for a maximum of 360 hours. Position date is May 18 – August 14, 2020.
Hours: Monday-Wednesday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. 30 min. lunch break – unpaid; one 15-minute rest period for every 4 hours worked, paid time. Hours to be set within the normal operating hours of the districts at time of employment. May also be requested to attend and/or assist with meetings, events or programs during evening and weekend hours. Schedule flexible.
Hourly Salary and Benefits: Starting salary $10 per hour, paid bi-weekly. No benefits are provided. Employer pays employer portion of Social Security and Medicare and withholds and deposits local, state and federal income taxes as required.
• College Degree (BA or BS) or pursuing degree in a conservation related major (i.e. environmental science, biology, agriculture science, science/agriculture education, geography, etc.)
• A direct working knowledge of conservation issues as they apply to our natural resources
• Ability to communicate in a professional, accurate and energetic manner to a variety of audiences
• Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office
• Work well within a team: respect and support initiative of others; communicate in a timely and candid manner with team members
• Ability to lift at least 25 lbs
• Ability to work in the outdoors during inclement weather
• Familiar with ArcMap and GIS is preferred
• Be available on some weekends and evenings
• Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance
Job Description: District Intern will assist the District Coordinator in activities that support the work of the Conservation District.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service and Conservation Districts prohibit discrimination in all programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation or marital or family status.
Duties include, but not limited to:
Technical Support (30%)
• Assist with technical conservation practices including site visits to local landowners
• Assist with property management on two conservation area properties (i.e. trail maintenance and design, etc.)
• Work with GIS to create maps for District use
• Attend Board meetings and sub-committee meetings; assist with notes and meeting minutes
• Attend trainings identified by the Board and District Coordinator that would be beneficial to your job duties
• Assist Administrative Secretary with District files, reports and other designated task (e.g. County Agricultural Investment Program, Agricultural Districts, etc.)
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Programming (30%)
• Assist with planning, facilitation, and cleanup of special events and community programs (e.g. Backroads Farm Tour, Field Days, Workshops, Conservation Day, etc.)
• Prepare the necessary materials for promotional displays, newsletters, blogs, and social media promotion
• Assist in designing educational programs to benefit our local schools and community
Independent Study (20%)
• Complete a research study for a possible program or project that would be beneficial to the Conservation District and the promotion of our purpose/mission
• Present a brief final presentation to the Conservation District Staff and Board of Supervisors at the August Board meeting
Deadline for application – March 13, 2020
Send cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation to:
Campbell County Conservation District
Attn: Amy Winkler, District Coordinator
8350 East Main Street, Alexandria, KY 41001