Organization: Gorman Heritage Farm
Volunteer Farm Educator
Location: 10052 Reading Road, Evendale, OH (just north of Cincinnati city limits)
Duration: March-May (spring season) and September-November (fall season), with opportunities in the summer as well.
● We offer many training opportunities throughout the year. Next training dates are August 31st and September 5, or at your own availability.
● Volunteer Farm Educators will shadow a minimum of two field trip/farm tour sessions prior to teaching on their own.
Hours: Per applicant availability, a few hours per week, between the hours 9am-2pm, Tuesday - Friday. Volunteers choose days based on their availability.
Responsible to: Education Coordinator & Education Director
Contact: Krystal Gallagher, Education Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
As a Volunteer Farm Educator you will get to:
● Learn new skills and information relating to farm animal interactions, agriculture, education, and being a role model for children as part of a fun, talented and enthusiastic staff while leading farm field trip tours
● Attend volunteer enrichment workshops and volunteer appreciation events
● Gain work-related experience while earning community service credit, if needed
Volunteer Farm Educators are expected to:
Lead meaningful, educational, and safe farm experiences for groups of about 10 children. Volunteer Farm Educators help school groups have a safe, happy and empowering experience by being an effective and engaging teacher on topics like gardening, pollination, food sources, farm animal interactions, and Ohio history, which supports the mission of Gorman Heritage Farm. Educators are not responsible for the direct supervision of children, only the presentation of material; Gorman Heritage Farm requires supervision from school group chaperones and teachers.
Come to volunteer on scheduled days with a positive attitude prepared to teach children. Volunteer Farm Educators are expected to be punctual and dependable in their arrival, with a professional and farm-appropriate attire. A name tag and a Gorman Heritage Farm T-shirt will be provided.
Work with other Volunteer Farm Educators, Education Coordinator, and Director of Education to enhance and improve our programs. We work and play together as an effective team blending staff and volunteers. We offer our volunteers opportunities and resources for growth and learning. Volunteer Farm Educators are expected to read the educational materials provided and be responsive to feedback. We also appreciate and listen to the feedback of our volunteers as the season progresses. Provide leadership, structure and organization. Educators welcome visitors to the site, answer questions, and direct visitors to restrooms and first aid locations. Educators are able to appropriately and politely direct chaperones in the event that support is needed during an education tour. Educators communicate issues and questions from tour groups to staff members. Educators are also responsible for instructing visitors in emergency procedures should the need arise, with direction from staff members.
● Volunteer Educators must be at least 19 years old age and pass a background check. Gorman pays for the background check.
● Have the ability to speak to and teach a group of 10 children and several chaperones and teachers on foot for 1.5 miles up and downhill on a paved/gravel path for several hours on the Gorman Heritage Farm site and teach a stationary lessons while staying alert, friendly, and patient.
● Have the willingness and capacity to implement and adhere to the Gorman Heritage Farm Education Program (training will be provided to all volunteers on the program and site).
● Demonstrate comfort and preparedness outdoors and with farm animals.
Description of Site: Gorman Heritage Farm is a 122-acre not-for-profit, educational, historical working farm in the Village of Evendale, just north of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Gorman Heritage Farm promotes:
● hands-on interactions with a variety of animals, gardens and crop fields both for production and education
● engaging farm experiences celebrating the power of food and its connection to people, places, and the natural world
● values such as self-reliance, stewardship, service, and meaningful labor.
Application Procedure: Please fill out the short application available at https://form.jotform.com/73204630492148 or contact email@example.com. Please also note, we consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.